According to a story reported by two publications in China, 23 year old Ma Ai Lun died when she answered a call on her Apple iPhone 5 while it was recharging. Details are sketchy and some of the information loses meaning in translation, but it appears that news of the death was originally reported on “Ueybo” which is China’s equivalent of Twitter. Ms. Ai Lun was a flight attendant on China Southern Airlines and was supposed to get married on August 8th.
Forensic investigation has confirmed that the deceased had been electrocuted, which was listed as the official cause of death. Police in China’s Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous region confirmed the incident. The victim’s sister warns other users of the Apple iPhone 5 not to use the device while it is charging.
We have a call into Apple for the company’s reaction, which we will pass along as soon as we hear from the tech titan. The incident allegedly took place on July 11th.